That’s my kind of weight loss program. Is natural Weight Loss – a myth? No. It is not. Losing weight, the Holy Grail for many, need not involve losing an arm and a leg in the process. Figuratively speaking, of course. We’re only considering losing the weight equivalent to that of an arm and a leg.
Natural weight loss is possible if you follow a simple four-word mantra. And that is “Eat right. Keep moving”.
It is easy to keep on reading about different ways to lose weight. Now, if only reading was a way to lose extra weight! The extra pounds seem to sneak up on most of us and become stubborn residents on our body, in the parts where it looks the worst.
But weight loss does not relate to good looks alone. We need to maintain a healthy weight to stay – you said it – healthy. Unfortunately, it is much easier to gain weight than to prevent it or lose it.
According to health experts, the ones who are keenest on losing those extra pounds are the ones who are quick to return to their old eating habits even though they are aware of the benefits of healthy eating. It is too easy to become sedentary even though they start an exercise regimen. Why? Old habits die very, very hard.
So, how do you lose weight naturally without having to stick to a diet or being forced to exercise?
Stick to a diet that is high in complex carbohydrates, high in fiber, has moderate protein and is low fat. A complex carbohydrate is a baked potato. Fat is the sour cream and butter you should not put on it. Fiber is vegetables. Fat is the oil you should not fry them in. Protein is a lean cut of meat. Fat is the gravy you should not pour over it.
Dietary fiber is a two-faced thing. It can cause weight gain as it is a rich source of calories which are safely stored as body fat. But wait. Dietary fiber can also help lose weight naturally if you avoid the “fat-free” trap. Don’t get deluded into believing that the “no fat” in food labels is non fattening, because your source of calories is not just the fat.
When you are hungry, choose healthy snacks. Health experts suggest that you eat every three or four hours and opt for low fat snacks if you are eatish between meals. This means a slice of wholegrain toasted bread or an apple or some nuts. Don’t go skipping a meal and live on snacks – that could end up making you gain weight. It is important to control your eating habits. Maintain a routine.
Keep track of what you eat. Maintaining a journal is a good way to track your weight loss process. Obviously, losing weight is not easy. And going on a fad diet won’t help. It takes determination, consciousness, self-control and discipline.
Okay. That’s it with the blah-blah. Here are some ways to shed that extra weight without trying too hard:
- Throw the word “diet” out of your vocabulary. To me, diet spells deprivation. So eat. Eat healthy. Fill up on fruit and veg and you’ll have more energy and won’t be desperate for fattening foods. Heck, you won’t have room for it! Grab a bowl of vegetable soup before dinner – you will consume fewer calories and lose more weight .
- While you’re at it, you might as well lose the word “exercise”. Instead, find an activity you enjoy and do more of it. Walk more, learn to tango and freak out. Learn belly dancing. Whatever – but don’t exercise!
- Change your lifestyle if you are keen on losing weight and keeping it off you. Do it gradually. Take time to get used to one change. Add a new food each week. Increase yoru activity. Too much too soon and it is a recipe for disaster.
- Track your calories. This includes calories from food, drink, juice, wine, alcohol, etc. Switch to low-calorie wine or soft drinks, sugar-free cordial and herbal teas . Big difference. You won’t even feel the difference.
- If you tend towards emotional eating – instead of reaching for your jar of cookies, reach for your phone. Call a friend. Have a leisurely bath. But no snacks.
- Choose low fat and low calorie alternatives to foods you enjoy. Brown bread instead of white. Think and be inventive.
- Get enough fiber in your diet as this keeps you satisfied longer without adding pounds. And remember to drink plenty of water!
- Control portion sizes.
Hey, that extra weight didn’t add itself overnight. So – be patient. Short term weight loss is a bad idea because you’ll send your body into starvation, and end up putting that weight back on, with interest.
Is there a topic you would like to read about? Please mail me at vidzword [at] gmail [dot] com
Vidya Sury burns calories as a Freelance Writer and Professional Blogger. She’s mom to a teenager who is thinks she looks great, no matter how she looks.