An Idiomatic Guide to Play FarmVille

Guest post by Shilpa Garg

This post is a part of a challenge. A challenge to write a post using Idioms and Proverbs.

clip_image001 Ah FarmVille!!

It needs no introduction. It is a virtual farming game which is played by over  73.8 million active users.

Even I am cut from the same cloth. Why? You may ask. Well the reasons are many and learnings are many too.

You may fall in love with it too!!

So, here’s a fun idiomatic guide to play FarmVille!!

Finger-pointing-icon It’s a very simple game and right from day 1, you take to farming like a duck to water.

Finger-pointing-icon And you find that you are not alone, there are soooo many like you, all on a lookout for a ….neighborwell, birds of a feather flock together, on the farm!clip_image002

Finger-pointing-icon It’s not a solitary game. But is a social game. You need neighbors who give you a hand in a lot of activities viz fertilizing your crops, feeding your chickens, sending gifts…

Finger-pointing-icon It trains you to race against the clock and attain mastery of exclusive crops in a given time frame example the Super Growth Pumpkins.  clip_image003

Finger-pointing-icon The early bird catches the worm, that is so very true in FarmVille. Claiming the mystery eggs, or collectables or the lost animals early, gives you the advantage. So, finders keepers, losers weepers

Finger-pointing-icon You learn at FarmVille that procrastination is the thief of time. You delay harvesting your crop and it will wither soon.

Finger-pointing-icon At the end of the day, when you see your farm, with all the activities done(plouging land, planting seeds, harvesting crops, trees and animals, fertilizing crops, sending gifts etc), you truly feel like the cat that got the cream!

Finger-pointing-icon You visit your neighbors farm, see a decoration or the new design pattern at the farm, and you take a leaf out his/her book farm!clip_image004

Finger-pointing-icon A picture is worth a thousand wordsone look at a farm, and you get a glimpse of its owner. A well decorated farm or a shabby farm or a cluttered farm, each tells a story!

Finger-pointing-icon A friend in need is a friend indeed, and this you come to know especially during barn raising!!

clip_image006

Finger-pointing-icon Harvesting your crop is truly satisfying and you can’t stop but think “I am in for a penny, in for a pound.”

Finger-pointing-icon You start believing, “The bigger, the better!!”…Bigger farm, bigger number of trees and animals, bigger number of gifts, bigger number of neighbors…

Finger-pointing-icon You understand that, Rome was not built in a day and similarly it takes a lot of time and effort to gain XPs, FV Cash and Coins and mastery for various crops and move up on the game levels.

Finger-pointing-icon When you are on your farm, time flies. You are surprised to see that the minutes and hours have passed very quickly!

Finger-pointing-icon You might have loads of goodies on your farm, but even a small new different thing on your neighbor’s farm makes you yearn for it. It’s true, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.clip_image008

Finger-pointing-icon You learn that you should never look a gift horse in the mouth and instead accept a gift even if you do not want or need it.

So, all of you who are still not farmers, remember All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy”. It is not healthy to spend all of your time working and never relaxing or playing…so come join us on FarmVille! Because, we believe, the more the merrier.

You say, never played a virtual game??

Come on, there is a first time for everything!!

FarmVille is a real-time farm simulation game developed by Zynga, available as an application on the social networking website Facebook.

The game allows members of Facebook to manage a virtual farm by planting, growing and harvesting virtual crops, trees, and livestock. Since its launch in June 2009, FarmVille has become the most popular game application on Facebook with 73.8 million active users in January 2010.

- Article written by Shilpa Garg. To visit Shilp’s blog, click here.

1 06 February, 2010 Technology February 6, 2010

1. Neha

hey Shilpa,

this was amazing…this post shows your dedication towards farmville; errrr I mean writing..very well written..

PS: I know I am not allowed to comment on farmville post; but “once a rebel, always a rebel” – I have just made this up..:P

1. Shilpa Garg

Thanks Neha! Am glad you liked it!!
      I am actually amazed at myself…that after soooooo many months I am still hooked to this farming business! :-P
      I guess, you are allowed to comment coz now you do send us gifts and fertilize our farms! :-))

2. Dubey

whoa! I love the presentation and the intelligent usage of idioms. My wife plays all day farmville and talks to me farming this days when we own no farms in real :-P . Not to mention, she too enjoyed the post very much. In fact, she has an added points to talk about farmville now ha ha. Nice one shilpa. :-)

1. Nishita

I am really feeling left out now as all my friends have taken up Farmville. If I do get started, I will need posts like this to help me. I generally suck at stuff like this…

Pleasant surprise to see your guest post here :)

1. Shilpa Garg

Oh, you must try your hands at farming. And you need not worry about that, Nishita!! I can assure you that you will find a good FarmVille teacher in me! :D
          So, are you ready?? :D

3. Pramathesh B

Great Post! I had to quit farmville after one week of playing as it was very addictive and I could think nothing but farmville.

I guess a link to this post should be posted in the Farmville website also. A very good presentation. LR it will be a good marketting flick as well. :P

Great Post. *CLAPS*

1. Shilpa Garg

Thank you Pramathesh! I know, it is truly addictive! You spend the entire time thinking about the harvest time, needed gifts, harvests required to achieve mastery crop….the list is endless! And time flies! :-))

4. kavita

Hi Shilpa,we all know your love for FV…i joined in only to have a look at your farm.I must say you are an efficient farmer,who have a beautiful farm.I hope to learn a lot from your guide…lol.

5. Shilpa Garg

I know, how could I forget that! :-P
    So, sweet of you to join the club just to see the new look of my farm which I had advertised on FB! :-D
    And you made a good progress too, but let your crops wither after a while! I can understand…it’s very time consuming!
    Thanks :-P

6. Pawan

Shilpa,
    I’m on farmville just for friends, to send them gifts and all. That’s it, apart from that I found it quote boring (I know people might call this as blasphemy, but it’s true :D )
    But neways just like the 73 million odd people, I lack taste :D

7. Mani padma

In other words As you sow, so shall you reap. The post was lovely. I mean experimental n u did a great job with the idioms. Loved it. N to have this in gc was the icing on the cake. Btw i got totally deaddicted of farmville. How? Simple! I got addicted to Ginger chai! :-p

8. Mani padma

In other words As you sow, so shall you reap. The post was lovely. I mean experimental n u did a great job with the idioms. Loved it. N to have this in gc was the icing on the cake. Btw i got totally deaddicted of farmville. How? Simple! I got addicted to Ginger chai instead! :-p

9. Nethra

I was playing it until yesterday, but gave up. It has become boring now and I was feeling like I was wasting time farming.
    Well! It was nice article though. :)

10. Lakshmi Rajan

Thanks Shilpa for the wonderful article. Like Maggi it is “something different” take on Farmville, though I was never a fan of farmville and quit it on day one, reading your post on farmville decorated with idioms was quiet interesting :-)

11. Nikhil

I am at level 52 and can reach at 70 within no time :P see how addict i am… if anyone needs help, lemme know, i can share some cheats too ;) :D

12. Bill Murphy

What a great post my friend. I am a facebook fan and mostly spend my time playing some games and just talking out with my colleages. Surely, there are so many ways we can use facebook and I really love using it. I hope they have something more new to come for all of us.